With years of experience as a leading rail insurer, we have supported top rail companies worldwide. Becoming a trusted partner who understands their priorities. This has enabled us to build a deep working knowledge of the rail industry. In short, we speak our customers’ language, getting to know them and their business inside out.
Specialists in rail
Knowing the right questions to ask, we help our customers look at their risks from a rail perspective as well as an insurance one. Together, we build tailored solutions that align with the unique needs of each business from all sectors of the rail industry
A partner you can depend on
Partners from the beginning, we work with our customers to build a strong and resilient business. Whether you build and maintain trains, operate or finance passenger and freight services or keep the network running; we take the time to understand our customers and their priorities.
- Blending the right cover and capacity with the capability to create bespoke and flexible solutions, identifying any gaps in cover that could leave their business exposed;
- Complementing existing risk engineering strategy, risk management and claims defensibility;
- Offering a fresh perspective on existing controls to help embed business resilience and minimise the risk of a major loss;
- Ensuring an effective response to new and emerging risks; sharing our broader insurance experience and data across different industries to find innovative, pragmatic solutions;
- Providing full visibility and control of their risk management programme through access to our suite of user-friendly risk management tools;
- Supporting major risk engineering programmes and infrastructure projects; and
- Providing an insurance perspective on emerging trends and topical issues affecting the Rail industry.
“Since the start of the NS/RSA relationship six years ago, we have been amazed by the depth of rail industry knowledge that RSA has at its disposal. For a company like NS, it is important that we work with experts so that we can share and debate views, issues and ideas. RSA is outstanding in this respect.”_
Insurance Director, Nederlandse Spoorwegen
Providing cover for more than 65 clients in 20 countries
Offering up to £50m of casualty capacity
Involved in 3 of the top 5 railway companies in the world.
Offering up to £400m of property capacity
Broad risk appetite. From depot risks to rolling stock.
Over £9m of new business over the past two years
“Eurotunnel had suffered two major fires resulting in £200m of losses each time. The experience and specialist knowledge of our rail team has helped Eurotunnel reduce and manage their risk following these incidents. After extensive testing, we consulted on the implementation of SafeStation, a system that deploys water mist at key points along a 900m stretch of tunnel. We also provided expert advise for Project Salamander – a first-line fire defence involving ‘water curtains’ to minimise fire spread.”_
Preparing for the worst brings out the best in us
While major high-profile incidents are thankfully few and far between, they present significant disruption and reputation risks to your business, as well as the financial impact.
Our customers already know that good preparation and planning are essential. This applies to their insurance solutions too.
Dovetailing with their existing disaster recovery and crisis response plans, we work through scenarios to stress-test the insurance solution. This is informed by our involvement in real incidents and establishing the right claims protocols. Providing confidence that everyone knows what to do quickly and efficiently.
Should the unthinkable happen, partnering with RSA brings peace of mind that your business is in capable hands.